Monday, May 10, 2021

The Magic Fish, by Trung Le Nguyen

Confession Time: I've been in somewhat of a reading rut since before the pandemic began. Sure, I'll find a book here and a book there I enjoy, but I don't read like I did before. Not even close. So when I discover a book that holds my interest cover to cover... well, that's worth noting! Even better, sometimes you stumble across the perfect book at the perfect time and reading it is exactly what you needed right then and there. This is what happened with Trung Le Nguyen's amazing graphic novel, The Magic Fish

The story centers on Tien, the first in his Vietnamese family to be born in America and grow up speaking mostly English. Tien and his mother read fairy tales each evening so she can practice her English and also so the two can have some parent-child bonding time. But as much as Mom's language skills improve, Tien still doesn't know how to tell his her his big secret. He's not sure there's even a translatable word for it.  But then Tien's greatest fear comes true: His secret is discovered by his strict teacher, who threatens to out him to his parents before he's ready. But maybe fairy tales can help bridge the gap when language cannot.

I loved pretty much everything about The Magic Fish! Nguyen did a fantastic job blending in the fairy tales and making them somewhat mirror what was happening in the main storyline (for example, the twist on the last story's ending). Tien's friends and family were awesome and I loved how accepting they were of him. Overall, a happily ever after (or at least happily) story I enjoyed reading. This book put me in a good mood and I would like to check out more by this author.

--AJB

No comments:

Post a Comment