Thursday, September 3, 2020

His Dark Materials (season 1)/ The Golden Compass

I've been a fan of Philip Pullman's epic fantasy trilogy The Golden Compass  (a.k.a. His Dark Materials) since the first time I read it. I adored everything about it and, to this day, it remains my Number One Choice for Favorite Series. More than Harry Potter. More than Lord of the Rings. Even more than Books of Pellinor (which is a very close second - and which I highly recommend). 

When I first learned that BBC and HBO were parterning to adapt the trilogy into a television miniseries, I was over the top excited (We shall not speak of the disastrous abomination that was the 2007 movie attempt. In fact, I pretend it didn't even happen. Forget I brought it up). And when I got my hands on Season One, which covers the first book in the trilogy, I only regretted I had to get through an entire work day and a drive home before I could begin watching. I only hoped the source material would be treated respectfully and done the justice it so rightfully deserves. Considering the past, I had a right to be concerned. But I shouldn't have worried. This newest adaption met and even exceeded any and all expectations I had. True, some artistic liberties were taken (as is done with all book-to-movie adaptions), but I understand why that was done. Said liberties even enhanced the story in unexpected ways. I won't say more, though. To say more would mean spoilers.

So what IS The Golden Compass, you ask? For those who have not yet read the books, The Golden Compass (or His Dark Materials, if we're speaking officially) is the story of Lyra, a tween girl from an alternate universe who stumbles into the Ultimate War between Good and Evil. The villains are worse than Voldemort and Emperor Palpatine put together. The heroes are characters you can really root for. The battles are legendary. The world-building is most phenomenal. There is a great prophecy. There is epic excitement... Basically, the trilogy has everything a reader seeking adventure could want and more.  And the TV adaption is definitely worthy


The Golden Compass is the first book. If you haven't read it yet, why not? You absolutely should!

If you haven't read it yet...what are you waiting for? Go check it out today!!

--AJB

No comments:

Post a Comment