Wednesday, September 2, 2020

The Village (dvd)

We're getting into that time of year when suddenly a suspenseful movie sounds awesome. Maybe not a scary movie yet (that's for next month), but something with a creepy vibe that'll keep you guessing.

For this, I recommend The Village. It's older (2004) and maybe not as well known as some of the director's other movies, so maybe you haven't seen it. But it's definitely worth it. The plot centers on Ivy, a young blind woman who lives in a small, frontier-type village in the 1800s. The residents here are plagued by terrible, bloodthirsty monsters who live in the surrounding woods. A.k.a. "Those We Don't Speak Of"...but we're not talking Voldemort here. We're talking something that's, when you think about it, something far more sinister and disturbing. Entering the woods is forbidden, per the village Elders, lest they incur the wrath of Those We Don't Speak Of. But when her fiancee is wounded, Ivy is sent on a dangerous mission to the town on the other side of the woods to get medical help. But it's not just monsters awaiting her in the woods, but something far more dangerous. And when she finally arrives in town, what she learns...is shocking!!

I first saw The Village in the theater, but didn't remember much about it except that it had a creepy tension to it that built and built throughout the movie until the Big Reveal at the end. Perfect for this soon-to-be Fall time of year. So I decided to revisit it. Although I remembered the Twist almost as soon as I started watching, I still enjoyed the film. That creepy tension was still there and, knowing what I knew, I was able to pick up on certain subtle cues a first-time viewer would probably miss. Also, there were some great "jump" moments! The scenes, the acting, the way everything about it was just slightly (and intentionally?) off... Overall, I thought the film was well-done and I enjoyed the second viewing.

p.s. Is it just me, or are the monsters reminiscent of something you'd see on The Dark Crystal or Labyrinth?


And if you enjoyed The Village, I recommend Margaret Peterson Haddix's novel Running Out of Time, another suspenseful story about a girl who must save her town.



--AJB

No comments:

Post a Comment