Thursday, September 17, 2020

The Accident Season, Moria Fowley-Doyle

 

October is almost here, so I thought it was the perfect time of year to blog about The Accident Season, by Moria Fowley-Doyle...which, as (very bad) luck would have it, takes place in October.

Let me explain. About the bad luck bit.

Most people love October. There's the fall colors, the cider and donuts, the cooler (but not cold) weather, all the best fallish fun, and, of course Halloween, which is pretty much the best holiday of all. I know I love October. But the same can't be said for Cara and her family. That's because her family is cursed to be plagued by the worst luck as soon as the calendar flips from September. And we're not just talking unfortunate situations. We're talking serious injuries, broken bones, sometimes death. The last week of the month is always the worst. And no one is safe until November arrives. 

But this year things are different. This year is a really bad year, true, but this is also the year Cara and her siblings (and step-siblings) finally get to the bottom of why they might be cursed. Trust me when I say none of them saw the truth coming.

Gotta admit it: Getting into The Accident Season was a bit difficult. The narrative style is odd and it almost felt like the author began writing in the middle of the story. Upon beginning, I felt like I was missing something I should already know. But once the story got going I couldn't "put it down" (I use that phrase loosely as I  treated myself to the audio format so I could experience the story while on my lengthy daily commute).

The Accident Season is a quirky, almost Gothic mystery. Perfect for this time of year. I recommend it.

--AJB

No comments:

Post a Comment