Tuesday, January 30, 2018

#NotYourPrincess: Voices of Native American Women


I picked this up one day hoping it would be a quick read, but at the end I wanted more. #NotYourPrincess is full of a wide variety of moving artwork, poetry, essays, short stories, and meaningful quotes from modern Native American women who are sharing their stories. The pieces in these collected works strongly speak volumes about the damage done by abuse and stereotyping. Although it is heavily emotional, this book is beautiful, empowering, and well worth the read if you are ready for it. This book is a quick read that will make your world bigger. Like I stated, I just wanted there to be more. 


I would especially recommend this to any older teen that is interested in poetry or one who is willing to allow themselves to learn more of the challenges and hardships of Native American women. -MC


I will also caution that there was some distressing physical and sexual abuse survivor stories in this book and that it might be better suited for a more mature teen audience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment