Monday, January 18, 2021

Zootopia (dvd)

It's true that we librarians spend a lot of time recommending books (and movies and other things) to people. But sometimes we have things recommended to us. When this happens, I usually try to investigate what was recommended and, if it sounds good, check it out for myself to see what all the hype is about.

So when a young man (whose taste I trust) excitedly pressed Zootopia (Disney) into my hands with the statement, "It's one of my favorite movies", I pretty much had to watch it. It helps that I happen to love animated movies and this one had somehow passed under my radar. And, although this wasn't the best of the genre, I really did enjoy it.

Zootopia is all about following your dreams, achieving your goals, and defying stereotypes. It centers on Judy Hops, an anthropomorphic (SAT Word: Means giving human features and characteristics to non-human things, like animals or toasters) bunny who wants nothing more than to be a police officer so she can help make the world a better place. Trouble is, this is an occupation that, previously, has been held by larger, more threatening animals like lions and tigers and bears. And although Officer Judy graduates at the top of her Police Academy Class, she still gets stuck with Parking Meter Duty. Because would you trust a cute little bunny rabbit to bring down the bad guy? Be honest here... Officer Judy has just about accepted her fate and has decided to become the best Meter Maid ever when she unexpectedly gets a break into a Really Big Missing Persons Case. Teaming up with the chief witness Nick, a tricksy fox, Officer Judy doesn't just crack the case. She just might expose the biggest scandal the city of Zootopia has ever seen.

Zootopia was a fun way to kill a chilly January evening. Characters were likable, humor was spot-on, and the message at the story's heart was a positive one (none of that embarrassing, and totally outdated, "Someday My Prince Will Come" crap Disney has been known for in the past). I can honestly attest that this is a movie that can be enjoyed by multiple ages on multiple levels. I recommend it.

--AJB

No comments:

Post a Comment