Sunday, September 12, 2021

Sadako at the End of the World, by Koma Natsumi

Remember the creepy cursed girl from the movie, The Ring? The one with the hair who met her demise at the bottom of a well and, somehow, created a cursed videotape that would bring a horrible death to anyone who viewed said tape? Yeah, that girl.

Well, when I first saw that movie, it terrified me beyond all rationality. Of course I watched it alone. In a creepy pitch-black apartment. And, at the time, I had this old TV with a screen that would glow faintly for several minutes after I switched it off. Oh yeah, and a friend just happened to call shortly after I'd finished watching the film. Not a good combination all around. Needless to say, I've avoided the movie and everything to do with it since.

Until now, that is.

Enter Sadako At the End of the World, the delightfully twisted (and also twistedly hilarious) graphic novel by Koma Natsumi. The story opens when two apocalypse survivors happen upon the infamous cursed videotape. Of course they watch it and of course Sadako crawls from the TV, intent on bringing death and destruction in her wake. Imagine the cursed girl's surprise when the intended victims excitedly embrace her as a New Friend, rather than the bringer of their demise. The girls decide to help their new pal break the curse and travel around a ruined landscape, seeking more victims friends with whom they can share the video. When the last survivor has happily accepted their fate (much to Sadako's surprise), will the curse finally be broken? Or will there be one final twist to the story?

Although not a fan of the (backward to me) Manga format, I braved it so I could read this amazing story. The plot was twisted and funny and strangely endearing and 100% creative. I loved how the two heroines so openly befriended the movie monster, despite her creepiness and desire to kill...and the way Sadako's perspective on the world changed (yes, she became a different person at the end of the story).  

Am I still creeped out by the movie? Yes. Absolutely! 

But would I watch it again with this book in mind? Maybe... But I'd be switching my ringer to "silent" if I did. No promises, though...

This book, though... Awesome!!

--AJB

No comments:

Post a Comment