Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Archie, vol. 1 by Mark Waid

Boy, it had been an exciting book week for me.  When this little gem came in yesterday I immediately confiscated it and set it aside to be devoured right before I went home.  I have been waiting for this one for months.  I love Archie comics.  I loved them when I was growing up and I love them still.  When this landed on my desk I almost did a happy dance.  I did a happy dance inside.

I was not let down.  The art is great.  It's completely my style, bright and crisp.  The characters are truly updated versions of their old selves.  The best part about this book was finally having a background story to work with.  You know what you're getting with an Archie comic.  You're getting this great slice of life, this idealized high school world that you only see in teen movies.  I will buy into it every single time.

If you've read any of the Archie comics, you know that Betty and Veronica are always fighting over Archie.  You don't really know why.  They seem to like each other alright.  Archie's kind of, well, a bumbling boy with no real charm.  This book right here starts at the beginning and it is so nice to have a beginning.  Archie doesn't seem like just some idiot and there is finally a reason for all of the fighting over him. It's a great start and I cannot wait to see more.

In the first issue in this collection, Archie tells us that he's just gone through a breakup with Betty.  Everyone at school is surprised.  Obviously, Archie and Betty were the power couple, the couple that everyone looked up to.  Archie and Betty have been together forever, like since they were five.  They did everything together.  Now they aren't even talking.  All we know is that the break up has something to do with #lispstickincident which Archie doesn't want to talk about.  Right away everyone starts scheming on how to get them back together and they all decide to vote them in as Homecoming King and Queen.  Only, Jughead has different ideas and Betty ends up queen with someone else while Archie gets to play his guitar in front of an audience for the first time.

I bet you can't guess who shows up next!  There's a new girl in town: Veronica Lodge, millionairess and realty show star.  And she has something to hold over Archie's head.

I really, really enjoyed this.  I don't know how I'll survive until the next volume comes out!

P.S.  In case you missed it, CW has announce a new Archie TV show, Riverdale.

P.P.S.  If you're looking for something a little darker, you can always give Afterlife with Archie a shot.  In these comics, Riverdale battles zombies.  Oxford doesn't own these but you can request them from other libraries.  -RYQ

No comments:

Post a Comment