Saturday, September 24, 2016

My Lady Jane, by Cynthia Hand

I'm definitely a fan of historical fiction and romance. My Lady Jane, who are written by the co-authors, Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows, is absolutely magical, adventurous, and heartwarming. I don't see how anyone could fail to fall in love with this story and its wonderful characters.

I seriously don't want to ruin any of the plot, so I'll just say this book is surprisingly hilarious. Basically, the story starts out adding its own twist on history, but then ends up chucking history out the window and rewriting a happier ending for King Edward VI, Lady Jane Grey, and Lord Guildford Dudley. All of the familiar faces like Elizabeth I, Bloody Mary, and Mary Queen of Scots are featured. And the new ending could totally still fit in with actual history. There were so many hilarious references and actual lines pulled straight out of Monty Python and the Princess Bride. And Guildford's character kept coming up with a ton of Shakespeare's lines. I especially loved the characters and the mixing in of actual history with a fictional book. It was quite well done!

I also loved the slow-burn romance. Jane and Guildford, otherwise known as "G", were total strangers upon their first meeting at their wedding and hated each other. Of course, they gradually learned to tolerate one another, though there were too many annoying almost-kisses in my opinion. Lady Jane can be pig-headed and silly at times, but she's also brave and fearless and bold. Although I think she is a little too bold for this time period. *JK*

No comments:

Post a Comment