Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Lumberjanes: Unicorn Power, by Mariko Tamaki

I've been a fan of the Lumberjanes comic series since the first volume, Beware The Kitten Holy (Read it! I can't promise kittens, which DO figure in quite significantly later in the series, but it's still amazing! To the max!!). So when I learned of the existence of actual books featuring my favorite 'Hardcore Lady Types,' I had to see for myself what they were all about. And I was not disappointed. Lumberjanes: Unicorn Power, written by Mariko Tamaki, is every bit as awesome as its graphic counterparts. This story finds the five friends (Jo, Mal, Molly, April, and Ripley) deep within yet another magical adventure. 

It all starts when April, seeking her next badge (and a new challenge), leads the scouts up a mysterious mountain that's not on any map. It's also the tallest mountain any of them have ever seen. Oh...and there are a bunch of ominous signs all over the place, warning would-be explorers it might be best to Stay Away! But when did a sign ever dissuade a Lumberjane? Before long, the girls have trespassed on sacred ground: The home of the mysterious and magical Cloud People. And living among them is someone who is both strange and familiar. And this someone is NOT pleased to have their peaceful life disrupted by five ambitious adventurers...especially when one of them really likes to hug. In order to get off the mountain and back to camp, the 'Janes will have to use all of their survival skills, supernatural and otherwise. 

Also, there are unicorns! Which, if you haven't figured out, make everything more awesome!

Lumberjanes: Unicorn Power was a really fun read. Tamaki did an excellent job with keeping these beloved characters...in character. This story is everything I have come to know and love about The Lumberjanes. I didn't even miss the graphic novel format. I look forward to the next installment, The Moon Is Up (which I hope will clear up the cliffhanger at the end of Unicorn Power).

AJB

No comments:

Post a Comment