Thursday, January 17, 2019

Throwback Thursday: How to Train Your Dragon (1 & 2)

While visiting my parents over the holidays, my dad was raving about the How To Train Your Dragon movies. The TV was on in the background and an trailer for the newest HTTYD film, out this month, came on...which is how the subject came up in the first place. Rarely does my dad rave about movies, so when he does I pay attention.

I had never seen How To Train Your Dragon. Although I'm a fan of Dreamworks Annimation (Shrek, Kung Fu Panda), even preferring this studio's films to those of Disney and Pixar, I'd somehow missed the Dragon series. When the first one came out, I guess it seemed a little silly and childish, even by animated movie standards. And when the sequel was released, I didn't pay attention. 

"Oh they're so good!" my dad exclaimed. "You'd like them!"

And then the rest of the holidays happened and New Years happened and getting back to work and back to normal routine happened. And I didn't think of this conversation until weeks later when I was rooting around in our DVD shelves, hunting up items to put on display. I came across How To Train Your Dragon and recalled my dad's words. Curious, I checked it out.

And dad was right. I did like the movies. Loved them, actually.

How To Train Your Dragon (1 and 2) is about the adventures of a viking teen named Hiccup and his dragon, Toothless. The first film focuses on how the two become friends, despite the overall (and irrational) fear of dragons much of Hiccup's clan has. The second film tells the tale of how the pair, along with their Dragon Rider friends, save their village and their dragons from a ruthless madman trying to take over the world. In both films, the themes of friendship and family and good winning over evil are strong. And Toothless has got to be pretty much the cutest dragon ever! 

I'm so happy I finally discovered How To Train Your Dragon. And I'm very much looking forward to the third film, due in theaters later this month.

--AJB


p.s. I'm SO adding Night Fury to the list of Magical Pets I Would Like to Have.

No comments:

Post a Comment