Monday, November 25, 2019

Big Book of Little Kittens, by Hannah Shaw

Sometimes you just need to take a break from it all and look at cat pictures. Or cat videos, if that's your thing. Taking a breather to do such a thing has been scientifically proven to be beneficial to productivity. I can't site specific studies (although I'm sure I could Google you a few dozen). Just take my word for it.

This is why, on this Monday night, I picked up Hannah Shaw's (a.k.a. "Kitten Lady") book Big Book of Little Kittens. How could I not? Just look at that little darling featured on the cover! And BONUS! browsing a library book while at work counts as 'work', as 'keeping up to date on the collection', as long as I don't get too distracted by what I'm reading. I have to admit... NOT getting too distracted was extremely difficult in this case. Because Big Book of Little Kittens was just about the cutest thing I've read all year!

Shaw, who rescues and fosters orphaned kittens until they're ready to be adopted into their their "fur-ever families," uses this book to talk about her work with adorable little fluffballs. But the job isn't as magical as one might think. Raising kittens, sometimes ones who are just hours old, is hard work. They must be fed, bathed, helped to the bathroom...none of which they can do on their own when they're as young as many of Shaw's rescues. So lots of hard work, lost sleep, and commitment to the cause. Raising teeny tiny kittens is hard work and not something to be taken lightly. But it's without a doubt one of the most rewarding things out there, if you love kitties.

Of course all this info is enhanced by many, many, MANY photos of some of the cute kittens Shaw has raised. Of COURSE there are kitten pictures. Which is the best part of the book.

So stop by the New Book shelf and pick this one up. I promise it will make you smile even on the most Monday-est of Mondays.

--AJB

No comments:

Post a Comment