Friday, November 8, 2019

Throwback Thursday: Beastly by Alex Flinn

I first heard about Beastly, the book that started Alex Flinn on her twisted fairy tale kick, back in 2007. I was fresh out of earning my MLIS degree and was invited to attend a YA Literature conference along with the then-Teen Department head. I recall I had to enter a random drawing to win this coveted opportunity (I also recall there being a bit of jealousy among the then-teen staff who didn't get to go)...

Anyway...

One of the workshops I attended was a showcase of Hot Off The Press YA Books. The presenter was excellent at book talks and I wanted to read everything I heard about. But especially Beastly. I'd long been a fan of re-spun stories and the idea of a modern retelling of Beauty and the Beast from the Beast's perspective sounded really intriguing. I was especially excited to learn OPL had ordered the book. I put a hold on it and, shortly thereafter, it was in my eager hands.

I was not disappointed.

I read the book in one sitting, completely swept up in the story of Kyle/Adrian and Lindy and how their relationship blossomed from mistrust to friendship and, finally (and inevitably) into love.  Had I been in a different sort of mood when I read it for the first time, the book likely wouldn't have resonated with me in the same way. Maybe I would have found it juvenile, the characters shallow. But it was a case of right book, right time. And I loved it. I still do...more, I think, for nostalgia reasons than for literary merit. But I do think it's a sweet story that I have revisited a few times since the first read-through. And it's far better than any of the other retold tales the author has penned since.

There are a few elements that seriously date the story and would cause today's teens to scratch their heads. Like the concept of a chat room, in which Kyle/Adrian connects with other teens under similar curses. And the mention of MySpace, which was THE social network back when this book was penned (is MySpace still around? I don't know). And I'm sure there are a BUNCH of elements that would cause today's critics to cringe and scream and stir up all sorts of drama (there is no diversity among the cast of characters, save for a very cliche immigrant houskeeper, and the female lead is pretty much a stereotypical damsel in distress).

Still, Beastly is an enjoyable story that I shamelessly admit to loving.

And it still makes me want fill a huge bowl with popcorn and re-watch The Princess Bride for, like, the millionth time.


p.s. The movie adaption is simply awful and you're best avoiding it.

--AJB

No comments:

Post a Comment