Friday, February 28, 2020

The Plain Janes, by Cecil Cadtelucci

I needed something good to read that would be a quick read, so I grabbed Cecil Castelucci's graphic novel The Plain Janes, which just hit the "New" shelf. This book is actually three stories in one, detailing the (mis)adventures of four highschoolers, all named Jane, and their pursuit to bring art appreciation to their small town -- Despite the art-hating police chief, who attempts to thwart them at every turn.

I thought The Plain Janes would be cute, lighthearted story about four art nerds. Something I, also an art nerd, could totally get into. I mean, look at the cover: It's so happy and adorable! But the story was actually much more serious than that. It touched on heavy topics like censorship, paranoia, fear, and the dark side of family and friend dynamics. I didn't expect so many politics. You have to be careful when you're an author writing about politics. It's very easy to get caught up in a rant and have your story suffer. I've seen it happen.  More so in recent years than ever before. It's not a pretty thing. But with Plain Janes I never once felt like I was being force-fed any kind of agenda, so I was able to sit back and enjoy the story (and root for the Janes, of course).

Overall, I loved the story of how these four underdogs banded together to change their entire town by introducing art and flowers and beauty. It is an inspiring story of friendship and how several small changes can lead to one BIG change. I loved it!

--AJB

No comments:

Post a Comment