Friday, April 30, 2021

My Last Summer With Cass, by Mark Crilley

One of my favorite graphic novels of all time is This One Summer (Mariko Tamaki). So when My Last Summer With Cass, by Mark Crilley, popped up on my radar as a read-alike, of course I had to check it out! 

It's true that Last Summer deals with many of the same themes (friendship, growing up), it stands on its own as well. And although I didn't like it as much as One Summer, it was still a fantastic read, and I definitely recommend it. 

Shy, sheltered Megan and bold, outgoing Cass have been best friends since childhood. The girls spend each summer together and share everything, including a love of art. But then Cass's parents divorce and she and her mom move to New York City, putting an end to the traditional summer get-togethers. The next time Megan sees her, Cass is a different person...and she wants Megan to be different too. So she attempts to push Megan to do something she's not comfortable doing, and Megan pushes back... with disastrous consequences that nearly end the girls' friendship. 

My Last Summer With Cass can currently be found on our New Bookshelf. 

--AJB

No comments:

Post a Comment