Monday, December 7, 2015

Everything, Everything, by Nicola Yoon

For as long as she's been alive, Madeline has been the girl in the bubble. Literally. She's never gone to school, never had friends her age, never even stepped outside her house. The only people she has any contact with are her physician mother and nurse, Carla. Madeline has a rare form of Severe Combined Immunodeficiency, or SCID. She's allergic to the world. If she left the safety of her bubble, she'd likely die. But Madeline still dreams of a regular life. Of seeing the ocean. Of going for walks outside. Of visiting used bookstores. Of having friends her own age. Of having freedom to come and go as she pleases. But these are only dreams.

Until Olly moves next door and everything changes. Everything. It is only a matter of time before the two are IM-ing each other and becoming friends. Then falling in love. One thing leads to another and, spoiler alert, soon Maddy is questioning her entire existance. That maybe there's more to her story than she's been told. Maybe her entire existance has been a carefully-constructed lie.

Maybe she's NOT sick and never has been.  

Nicola Yoon's heartbreaking and beautiful novel Everything Everything is something I read in a day. This was one of those books that made me feel so strongly for the characters. Made me cheer for Maddy and Olly. Made me so, so angry at Maddy's mom (Maybe Maddy forgave her, but I couldn't). I did guess the twist less than halfway through the novel, but that didn't prevent me from reading on, anxious to see if I had guessed right and, if so, how things would play out (Did Maddy and Olly get back together? Not telling that part). 

Everything Everything. Wow. Just...wow. I highly recommend it! --AJB

No comments:

Post a Comment