Monday, January 9, 2017

Finding Dory (DVD)

I wasn't sure what to expect from Finding Dory (2016), the sequel to one of my favorite Disney films, Finding Nemo (2003). Of course the forgetful-yet-witty Dory was hands-down my favorite character from Nemo, and the thought of her having her own full-length adventure was very appealing. But it's been my experience that Disney sequels typically fall flat. Sometimes embarassingly so. So I approached this one with curious caution. 

I shouldn't have worried.

The second the adorable baby version of my favorite blue fish, with big shiny eyes to rival the iconic begging cat scene in Shrek 2, appeared on screen, I was hooked (fishing pun not intended, but just go with it). 

Finding Dory takes place a year after the events of Nemo. Dory has made herself at home in the reef, taking up residence in a coral cave near where her friends Marlin and Nemo live. She's mostly happy...until the flashbacks about her family and origins start up. She begs Marlin and Nemo to help her journey across the ocean to find her family. Reluctantly, Marlin agrees...much to Dory and Nemo's excitement. 

Their search (and Dory's sporatic, patchy memories) lead them to the Marine Institute at Morrow Bay, California. 

And thus begins a whole new adventure that is just as exciting, funny, and heartwarming as the original. There's a whole host of awesome new characters (my favorite is Hank) and we get to know more about Dory, where she came from, and how she ended up in Marlin and Nemo's corner of the ocean. 

This is one sequel that you won't want to miss! --AJB

No comments:

Post a Comment