Thursday, June 15, 2017

Groot, by Loveness & Kesinger

I'm not really a huge fan of traditional Superhero-type comics, preferring to read the more unique stories...like Lumberjanes or Giant Days. Or Nimona. Yeah. Nimona. That one was awesome! Stuff that doesn't adhere to the normal Superhero/Super Powers storyline. But I do have a weakness for Groot. That's right, Groot. As in "I am Groot." This character alone is one of the main reasons I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy as much as I did.

And the graphic novel/comic team of Jeff Loveness and Brian Kesinger did a most excellent job of crafting an adventure for this character of big heart and small vocabulary. 

It all begins when Rocket is kidnapped by a ruthless bounty hunter. On the journey to rescue his best pal, Groot has many adventures (like defeating alien sharks saving an entire planet from a dangerous electrical monster that would consume everything in its path) and makes a bunch of new friends. And does Groot finally rescue Rocket? You bet! 

So far, Groot has been one of my favorite graphic novels I've read so far in 2017. Recommended for fans of Guardians of the Galaxy and, really, anyone!

--AJB

No comments:

Post a Comment