Thursday, August 16, 2018

The Sleeper and the Spindle, by Neil Gaiman (Audiobook)

A little over a week ago, I purchased a new (used) car. Unlike my former ride, which allowed me to synch my phone and listen to tunes from my iTunes library, this car only has a CD player. But I've found that this is not a bad thing at all. Because since I have rediscovered the magic that is Books on CD, something of which OPL has an abundance. 

Recently I picked up the audio version of Neil Gaiman's short story The Sleeper and the Spindle. Narrated by a full cast, this twist on the Sleeping Beauty tale is absolutely gorgeous! It tells the story of a young queen (listener, I leave it to you to figure out who she is) and her three dwarf companions who travel to a distant kingdom to unravel the mystery of a terrible sleeping sickness that has been sweeping over the land. The four travelers brave many dangers and must fight the sleep themselves. And finally, once inside the castle where the enchantment began, they learn that the myth of the sleeping princess is nothing like they thought. 

I'd read The Sleeper and the Spindle years ago when it was featured in a book of short stories. And I didn't remember much about it other than The Kiss caused much controversy and buzz among the literary community (because, after all, it is a woman, not a prince, who administers the kiss that wakes the princess. Things were not so open-minded then as they are now). So it was like re-discovering the story, the characters, the world-building...everything. The story itself was a magical enchantment, and the audio format only made it more so. What's more, I was able to listen to the story in its entirety within one round trip to work and back.

I absolutely recommend this one! --AJB

No comments:

Post a Comment