Monday, August 6, 2018

Giant Days: Extra Credit, v. 1, by John Allison

A couple years back, a coworker passed me the first volume of a new graphic novel, claiming I'd probably enjoy it. The book was John Allison's Giant Days and it was all about three college freshmen, each who is somewhat of a misfit, who'd become best friends. I read it and was hooked. Daisy, Esther, and Susan have become something like friends to me (don't you love it when that happens with books?), and I'm always thrilled when the next volume comes out so I can catch up with them and see what they've been up to.

So I was especially ecstatic when that same coworker passed me Giant Days: Extra Credit. And I devoured it on one sitting. Here are a series of short vignettes and bonus material, including an alternate history where our three heroines didn't become friends and another detailing the girls' drama-filled holiday adventure in London. Plus other fun stuff. The only drawback is I now have Extreme's "More than Words" stuck on repeat in my brain. 

While not part of the main series, this one was fun to read. And it will get me through until the next main volume comes out next month. Guess I'll have to wait a little bit longer to find out what happens between Susan and McGraw... 

--AJB

No comments:

Post a Comment